Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Beans, Beans, and More Beans

Staples in your freezer are essential for a large family. There are a few things I am never out of like flour, salt, sugar, beans, and frozen meals.

Yes, I said beans. We love Mexican food and my husband and most of my boys love bean soup, chili, re-fried beans, and just plain old beans. I used to buy cases of re-fried beans and canned beans, now I make my own. (psst, they are much cheaper and taste better).

Yesterday I make 3 batches for my freezer, today I am finishing up another 3 batches.

Here are the basics:

I buy those big bags of pinto beans at Costco (or some other bulk store)

 I soak two pots of beans over night in my largest pots.
I leave at least 4 inches from top of the pot, because the beans soak up a lot of water...


In the morning, I drain and rinse all the beans. I add soaked beans back into their pots (about half full) then I add my "secret ingredients.
 
Here are my "secrets": I add a diced up onion, a strip of raw bacon, salsa, garlic, a hand full of salt, and a couple of cups of chicken broth.  I top off the pot with water so that there is about 2 inches of liquid above the beans.



I then simmer the beans all day (like 8-10 hours all day).

* Then I let them cool and ladle them into large (gallon sized) zip lock bags. I write "Beans Ready for Crock pot" in sharpie on the bag.
Hint* I double back the beans, cause spilled beans are gross...
 (not a great picture, but you get the idea...)

Then I lay the bags flat in my big freezer. These are the 3 bags I made yesterday, I think the batch I have going is another 3 bags.

To serve I thaw the bags and add to my Crock pot. I top with some more broth and salsa. After they have heated for a few hours I adjust the spices according to our family's taste buds.I crock pot them all day on low. (about 8-10 hours- you cannot over cook beans, but you can definitely under cook them)

Excellent as a side with grilled chicken or pork. Delicious in a tortilla with all your favorite fixings.

To refry:
After Crock pot cooking add more olive oil than you would like- maybe about 1/4 inch to your pan. Heat oil, add about 2-3 cups of beans. Smash and heat. Key word: Smash! 

I always adjust the spices as I cook and I do not really measure. Let your taste buds be your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment