Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sayler Chili

There are a bazillion ways to make chili. 


Here is my family's favorite.

We call it "Sayler Chili".

This recipe is delicious, freezable, and so easy an 8-year-old can make it with a little help.

 Before you have a heart attack. Confession time.

I do use a chili kit.

I learned this trick from my mom. She always had her favorite kit of spices, so I learned this speed trick from her.



My current favorite kit is this one by Carroll Shelby's.



I like it because they individually package each of the spices inside. That means I can add more or less of each of the spices.




I used to be afraid to add all of the cayenne pepper, but I have come to love this one just the way they have it packaged!.






Last secret.
Beans.

Not everyone thinks chili is true chili if it has beans. I understand that.
But this is my chili, with my name so it will have beans.

(For those of you with lots of kids like me, beans are a filler. Tomatoes are fillers. chili without beans is expensive if you are feeding 5 boys!!! So I use beans. Lots of beans!)

 This chili is extremely forgiving.

Simply throw in 2-4 cans of whatever your favorite beans are at the moment.


I came up with our current favorite combination because I was out of the beans I usually have on hand. It was such a hit that I had to swear an oath that I wouldn’t change this recipe!

I use:
Dark kidney beans
Bush's grillin' beans (bourbon and brown sugar)
and those weird looking Ranch Style Beans.

Do not panic when you open the Ranch beans!
They look kinda gross, but they are delicious!


Enjoy!

This is the easiest chili ever. Yes, I use a kit. Mom always did!



Ingredients:
Chili Kit (Carroll Shelby's)
Lg can Kidney Beans
Lg can Ranch Style Beans
2 220z cans Bush's grillin' beans (Bourbon)
Lg can diced tomatoes (With or without extra spices)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
Diced onion
2 cloves garlic diced

Directions:
Brown beef with onion and garlic in olive oil.
Add all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce and simmer at least 15 minutes.


I like to double this recipe and freeze it into family sized (or lunch sized) portions. 
It is a family favorite, especially if I make home-made tortillas!

Beans: You can play with all different kinds of beans. I've used kidney, pinto, black, northern, and actually any kind of beans I have available. The ones listed are the current favorite combination!








No comments:

Post a Comment