Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Lots and Lots of Veggies

Some of you may be wondering where the heck I have been, others may not have noticed I haven't posted in a few weeks. That's OK. Being "A Stay at Home Mom, homeschooler, and wife" keeps me more than a little bit busy. Throw in a few respiratory infections and stomach flu's and I think you can agree with my "guilt-free" style of writing.

Writing is one of my biggest passions, but I refuse to feel guilty when the reality of life jumps in front of my thoughts. Ahhh, it feels good.


Back to the Title of my post. About 10 days ago I weighed 11 pounds heavier than I do today. I had enjoyed every bite of food I put in my mouth, and I had the hip measurements to prove it.

My husband informed me that we were going to "reboot".

My first thought was, oh no. My second thought was teach me.

Although I will not go into great detail here today, my husband and I have been eating nothing but fruit and veggies, including vegetable juice blends for the last 10 days or so. We feel great and both have lost over 10 pounds each. We are excited, to say the least.

As I am being forced to learn to live on a totally foreign diet, I am delighted to have stumbled onto a few amazing recipes. These have quickly been added into my handy-dandy recipe box and will grace our plates for many years to come.

First recipe I have been dying to share:

Green Vegetable Soup

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Leeks, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 head Broccoli, trimmed to small florets
2 medium Zucchini, cut into half moons
1 head Spinach, roughly chopped
4 leaves Basil
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground Pepper
6 cups water
3 Tbsp. fresh Basil, chopped
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add
the leeks and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, zucchini, spinach,
basil, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the water and bring to a
boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the
chopped basil.
Makes 4-6 servings
Per serving:
Calories: 126
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 4 g


This is so light and delicious! It is not a make and save type recipe, but I love it anyway!!!


PS- If you want to see what we are doing, there's a great Netflix show called
fat, sick, and nearly dead

No comments:

Post a Comment