Friday, March 9, 2012

Breakfast on the Go!

Hi there! Does anyone else struggle feeding their family great, healthy, yet easy to make breakfasts? I mean 356days a year, year after year breakfasts?
I sure do. I keep drifting back into the cereal aisle and buying my weekly ration of dried cereal.

My boys are ravenous at breakfast time, so unless I buy the "Really Healthy" cereal, I am constantly running out. If you've read my blog before, you know that I always have frozen waffles in my freezer, but I've really been wanting to do something different.

I finally stumbled upon an answer. Brace yourself.
Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal!

That's right! Individual servings of oatmeal, baked in cupcake papers, ready to pop into the freezer. I made my first batch the other day and I loved them. 3 out of 5 boys loved them too, and the other two? Well, they just do not like oatmeal. Oh well! We cheerfully eat what we are served right?

I love serving oatmeal. Its warm and filling. My kids would argue about whether they think it is edible, but not only do they like it better each day, I notice I am hearing less and less complaining. Even my most hungry boy makes it almost to lunchtime without begging for a snack!

You gotta try this one!
Be sure to visit the link above to see the full post from "Sugar-Free Mom".


Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
  • 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 2 3/4 cups milk (I used 1%)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 6 packets of Sweetleaf Stevia or 1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips
Directions
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl.
  3. Add in oats, salt, baking powder, flax and cinnamon and mix well with wet ingredients.
  4. Finally pour in milk and combine.
  5. Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
    Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
  6. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
  7. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment