Friday, November 18, 2011

Popcorn! Get Your Popcorn!

My kids love popcorn.
Whether its an afternoon snack, or a special movie night they always get big smiles when I tell them what I have cooking.
Next time you are  looking for a quick, easy, nutritious snack: try homemade microwavable  popcorn.
I personally love the convenience of microwavable popcorn, but do not love the taste. I was introduced to "do it yourself" microwavable popcorn about 5 years ago and have been sharing it with my family ever since.

This recipe is quick, easy, and very economical.

What you need:
A Garden Variety Paper Bag.

Buy these in bulk. I pick up at least 200 at a time, specifically for popcorn.
The "Magic Ingredients"

This is super easy. You simply need a large bag of popcorn kernels, a can of cooking spray, a brown bag, and a microwave.
Simply open the brown bag and spray inside with cooking spray. I do not measure much of anything that I prepare in my own kitchen, so cover the bottom of the bag with popcorn kernels (a good guess: 1/4c.)
Now, fold the top of the bag over about an inch, then another inch fold again.
Do a staple fold.
"Staple Fold"

You simply tear the bag about a 1/2 inch in two places and fold in the opposite direction of the bag folds.
Voila! You are ready.
Place bag in microwave, laying it flat. Every microwave is different, so you will need to experiment on time. My microwave is a new model and I cook my corn for 3 minutes.
Empty contents into your favorite bowl, add butter, salt or whatever you enjoy on your popcorn and serve.

A word of Fun/Warning. For me, this new way of preparing our favorite snack came with a learning curve.
I had to experiment with the time and amount of popcorn to get it just right. The first few times I over cooked the bag or added too many kernels. The result is a bag that "popped" open while cooking creating a new look for the inside of my microwave. In the end it was worth all the effort (plus popcorn cleans up super easily!).
Popcorn is a healthy, convenient, and now even better snack choice.

Some of our favorite toppings:
Burnt butter (My husband's favorite! Scald butter until its brown)
regular butter and salt
Cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top
Spark mix sprinkled on top and mixed well

No matter how you serve your popcorn I am confident this will a big hit in your home as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment