Thursday, November 17, 2011

They Still Want to Eat

Even though it's been one of those weeks where all seven of us came down with varying types of coughs and colds, the family still wants to eat.
While this may seem obvious to everyone else, it's weeks like these that make feeding an army challenging.

I relied heavily on my freezer meals and it brings me to my heart message for today.
I absolutely love taking care of my family. I get up with my husband in the morning to make sure he has coffee, vitamins, food, and freshly ironed clothes.
I prepare homeschool lessons for 4 of my 5 boys (the oldest is in college) and I happily shuttle my kids to and from their outside classes and clubs.
One of my most (and least) favorite things to do for my crew is to decide what they will eat each and every day.

As an at home wife and mom I hold an unnoticed, yet powerful grip over my men. What they eat impacts their health, stamina, and attitude. I do not know how things work in your home, but in my home just the smell of something cooking in the kitchen makes my crew happy.

This week as I wasn't feeling the best I realized that preparing meals can be a huge burden if my heart (and freezer) is not right. Its when I do not feel well that I get a glimpse into the deepest part of my heart. This week I caught sight of the fact that sometimes I grumble that my family is asking me "What's for dinner?" again. This part of my life is like laundry. It's fine if it's undercontrol, but if I don't plan regularly it will eat me alive.

Am I complaining? Nope. Just being real.
If I hadn't taken the time to prepare food in advance, if I had not frozen meals, if I had not purchased everything I needed for my menu my family would not have eaten home cooked meals this week.

My encouragement to you today is that it's worth it to double a recipe here, freeze a recipe there. Have a few meals nestled safely in your home so that even when it's one of "those weeks, or days" you have something to serve your family.

How about you? Do you ever find it overwhelming to feed your family 3 square meals a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment